Advantages of an O-Ring
They seal over a wide range of pressure, temperature and tolerance.
• Ease of service, no smearing or retightening.
• No critical torque on tightening, therefore unlikely to cause structural damage.
• O-rings normally require very little room and are light in weight.
• In many cases an O-ring can be reused, an advantage over non-elastic flat seals and crush-type gaskets.
• The duration of life in the correct application corresponds to the normal aging period of the O-ring material.
• O-ring failure is normally gradual and easily identified.
• Where differing amounts of compression effect the seal function (as with flat gaskets), an O-ring is not effected because metal to metal contact is generally allowed for.
• They are cost-effective.